b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 19:53:02 -0400

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:39:16 +0100 Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
writes:
> On 05/04/2005 00:30, George F Somsel wrote:
> >
> >Peter,
> >
> >I hardly believe that you would assert that 1 Kings was written
> prior to
> >the time of Josiah. If you concede that 1 & 2 Kgs constitute one
> work,
> >then your assertion that 1 Kg was written prior to Josiah is
> impossible
> >-- or do you assert that the account of the conquest of Jerusalem
> is also
> >written prior to the event?
> >

> I made no assertions about the date of 1 Kings, I merely pointed out
> the
> confusion in Yigal's logic.
>
> I do not hold that the entire book of 1&2 Kings was written in or
> before
> the time of Josiah. I do hold that the story in chapter 13 was very
>
> probably written before the time of Josiah and later incorporated
> into
> the completed book, no doubt with some revisions. And, while I don't
>
> want to be dogmatic on this point, I consider it entirely possible
> that
> this original story records a genuine God-given predictive prophecy
>
> citing the name Josiah. Those who reject this possibility do so only
>
> because they reject the possibility of predictive prophecy from an a
>
> priori philosophical position.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> peter AT qaya.org (personal)
> peterkirk AT qaya.org (work)
> http://www.qaya.org/

Peter,

That is a patent falsehood. I would say that the Isaianic prophecy of Is
7 is predictive and the *young woman* not virginal. I would also assert
that the concept of Josiah's being **named** long before his birth is
nonsense and inserted ex eventu.

george
gfsomsel