b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 03:10:55 -0500

George:

Since when does "Prophecy does not name specific names"? That's the very
nature of Biblical prophecy. After all, Isaiah named Cyrus long before he was
born (Isaiah 44:28 ff.) Daniel in his visions saw events so clearly that
modern historians can give names to the players involved, and even there
Daniel named some names which make the identifications easier. Then Daniel's
seventy sevens prophecy, recognizing that each seven equals seven years,
starting at the time of Nehemiah at about 415 BC give or take a year or two,
ends almost exactly with the Jewish revolt, the seventieth seven about midway
through seeing the sacrifice stopped by one called "the leader who is to
come" (both the original Roman general, and his son, later were "leaders",
i.e. emperor). So was Daniel written after 73 AD? In Isaiah 48 the claim was
made that Biblical prophecy is specific so that there is no question as to
that God imparted it. Why wouldn't that specificity include names?

While this seems off field as far as B-Hebrew linguistic studies, it impinges
upon the history of the language, hence recognition of the development
thereof. Because I accept the possibility that there is a God who
communicates with people, and in his prophecies gave specific information
including names, recognize a different development history of Hebrew language
than the person who is a naturalist claiming that all "prophecy" was written
after the fact. This is where religion (philosophy) affects historical
studies, and recognize that because we do not share the same belief system,
neither will we share the same view of language history.

Karl W. Randolph.