b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:12:18 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>

Ahaz rejected the sign, so it was given to the house of David. That it was a
"sign" indicates that it was something special.

> > In this I'm reminded of the prophesy concerning Josiah in 1 Kings 13:2.
> > From the immediate text, one would conclude that this Josiah was already
> born, but it wasn't until centuries later that that prophesy was fulfilled.
> >

> Karl,
> The difference is that 1 Kings 13 was written either during the time of
> Josiah or later, and so the author could put a "prophecy" about Josiah in
> the anonymous "man of God"s mouth. Isaiah 7 was NOT written by Matthew.
>

> > Therefore, if Isaiah was prophesying in the same manner as the prophesy
> above, there is no reason to insist that the woman be alive at that time.
> And that she was called "the virgin" means that it is a sign, because
> virgins don't get pregnant and give birth.
> > Karl W. Randolph.
>
> But she is NOT called "the virgin". She is called "the young woman".
>
> Yigal

Yigal, I have already given reasons why I insist that (LMH was the technical
term for virgin, I won't repeat them here. BTWLH at least once, if not twice,
referred to a married woman, so that term does not fit. If you insist
otherwise, that's your perogative. Let's agree to disagree on this issue, and
not argue.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm