b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:51:26 -0500

Yigal:

And there are plenty of people who claim that the text, analysing it
linguistically, indicates while a particular woman was meant, that there was
no indication that it had to be a woman who was alive at the time Isaiah said
it.

In this I'm reminded of the prophesy concerning Josiah in 1 Kings 13:2. From
the immediate text, one would conclude that this Josiah was already born, but
it wasn't until centuries later that that prophesy was fulfilled.

Therefore, if Isaiah was prophesying in the same manner as the prophesy
above, there is no reason to insist that the woman be alive at that time. And
that she was called "the virgin" means that it is a sign, because virgins
don't get pregnant and give birth.

Karl W. Randolph.