b-hebrew - Re: Re: [b-hebrew] etymolo

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>, Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Re: [b-hebrew] etymolo
  • Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:23:48 -0700 (PDT)

Karl Randolph <kwrandolph AT email.com> wrote, in part:
"...The Arabic is a different language from a millenium later. Proto-Semitic
is merely postulated based on presuppositions I believe are in error,...."

Now let us take just two examples from Biblical Hebrew:

1. F. S. nouns in construct , e.g. Dodah -- Dodat-YYY; same F.
noun in declension, e.g. Dodati, Dodatkha etc. . The question is where did
the "T" come from?

The final "T'" which was a marker of the F.S., was lost in BH in the
regular form and returned only in the construct and declension. This happenes
to be preserved in classical Arabic, but lost in many other Semitic
languages, including also, by the way, in colloquial Arabic.

2. Another noun : "Bat" , plural "Banot" . The questiom is where
did the "N" come from? And, to contintue with the same noun, if one looks at
the declension in the MT, "Bitti" "Bittkha" etc. why is there Dagesh forte,
for emphasis, in pronounciation, in the "T".

The "N" was part of the regular noun *Bnt-- compare with the Arabic
"Bint"--, but dropped off in BH. However it returned in the BH plural, as
well as in the declensions, where the emphasis in the pronounciation
compensated for the lost and assimilated missing letter.

All Semitic langauges share many features. It was therefore clear that
they are all connected , and go back to a common original language, or
proto-Semitic.

..."Now I know that you disagree with much of what I claim."... [Karl]

It so happenes, Karl, that I appreciate and respect your method. It
also happened that I agreed with some of your opinions and stated so
publicly on this list. But not with all of them.

Uri

From: "Uri Hurwitz"