b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:31:24 -0500

George:

When was the earliest Hebrew written? The earliest Phoenician?

Since the earliest historical records of writing in Hebrew were on what we
today would call leather scrolls, the earliest specifically mentioning
writing before 1400 BCE, wouldn’t that put it earlier than the earliest
Phoenician writing? And even though Genesis does not specifically mention
writing, that it preserves a literary style that went out of style before
Moses, that implies writing centuries before Moses.

The next question, do you trust the historical records, and why? I would not
be surprised that if you don’t trust the records, it is for theological and
not historical reasons.

Karl W. Randolph.