b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Re: PS /g/
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 23:19:50 -0500

Yitzhak:

Ezra 4:7 looks like it was originally written by someone who did not know
Hebrew very well, therefore used Aramaic loan words as well as Aramaic
spelling for the name. Ezra, the educated one, did not arrive on the scene
until chapter 7.

You are right, Ezra continued to use the samekh even in his Aramaic sections.

Nehemiah knew the king personally, and so used the transliteration
consistantly. And it looks as if Ezra had direct communications with the king
as well, so he was consistant as well.

But that still gives the picture that Aramaic lost the distinction between
samekh and sin before Hebrew did, though the case is not as strong.

Karl W. Randolph.