b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 22:42:03 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>

> Dear Karl,
>
> >You are making assumptions that the text doesn’t necessarily support.
> >
> >For example, in verse 21, which land? Any reason
> >why it couldn’t have been Egypt? When were
> >Ephraim’s sons killed, after at least one of
> >them had children and his children named for
> >several generations? And while the text mentions
> >the daughter building three towns, is there any
> >reason to suggest that they were other than
> >small settlements only for as long as Israel was
> >in Egypt, hence were not mentioned in Egyptian
> >records?
>
> HH: The problem with this idea is that Lower and
> Upper Beth Horon were well known settlements in
> Israel, not Egypt.
>
> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard

Harold: so you would say that $)RH the daughter was really a descendent of
BRY(H who founded the towns in Canaan, and we just misunderstand the text? Or
was she a daughter who founded settlements in Egypt, the names of which were
also used for later settlements in Canaan? Can we rule out either question?

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm