b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Machir and the Exodus ?
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:13:01 +0200

> > Except, George, that Ephraim was born to Joseph in Egypt, and
> > never lived in Canaan. So the story "could not" have taken place
> > before the children of Israel went down to Egypt.
> >
> > Yigal

> Oops, you're right. I had forgotten about that. I was simply thinking
> of the sons of Jacob, but Ephraim and Manasseh were Joseph tribes. Well,
> perhaps we do have evidence for a minimalist view in a different
> tradition.
>
> george
> gfsomsel

This has nothing to do with "minimalist" - only with the fact that the
Chronicle composed his genealogies to how a picture of Israel living in the
Land. As I wrote before, Sarah Japhet thinks that the Chronicler is denying
the Exodus and Conquest. I disagree. Why else, for instance, accentuate the
position of Joshua. My forthcoming article in JBL deals with some of these
issues.

Yigal