b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kwrandolph AT email.com
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:08:39 -0500

Peter:

This “intended to make sense” is exactly the reason I question the Masoritic
points at times. While most sentences in Tanakh are simple and make sense,
the difficult ones often become simple when one removes the points, then look
for the possibilities. Often the verses preceding and following indicate
which of the possibilities to choose based on continuation of an idea. Often
I find that one possibility gives a simple reading and any other possibility
leaves us with mental gymnastics to try to make every word fit.

I don’t know exactly how this relates to Relevance Theory, other than making
the text make sense may affect the relevance of individual verses.

Karl W. Randolph.