b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • Cc: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:30:21 +0100

On 17/08/2004 21:13, C. Stirling Bartholomew wrote:

On 8/17/04 12:09 PM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

Some texts like Ecclesiastes, and parts of Proverbs, may be made up of a
separate short discourses thrown together with no real cohesion. But at
least we can assume that each such discourse is intended to make sense.

Peter,

Discourse segments at every level can have general cohesion but lack
cohesion in some details. I was recently working on a crux in Luke 4:22
(off-topic) where cohesion breaks down in the last clause of the verse.
Trying to force cohesion onto this last clause causes more problems than it
solves. I can't grab an OT example from memory.

If your interpretation of a passage requires you to assume that cohesion breaks down (unless you are postulating something like a copyist's mistaken interpolation), your interpretation is wrong. Authors do not write texts which lack cohesion in this way, although with ancient texts we may lack the background knowledge to understand that cohesion. And I could easily explain how this clause fits into its context, but not here.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)