b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Eduard C Hanganu <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 13:33:05 +0100

On 20/08/2004 03:14, Eduard C Hanganu wrote:

Dear Peter:

Of course, "mimicry of Isaiah's words, perh. senseless." We use such expressions in common English too ("blah, blah, blah"), when we want to be ironic with someone or dismiss him. But how is this evidence supporting the idea that the discourse fragment lacks cohesion, coherence and logicality? ...

I mentioned this simply because I needed to qualify my absolute statement that there was no nonsense language in the Bible. Of course this fragment of nonsense is meaningful within its discourse context, but the actual quoted words are (on my interpretation) nonsense, and so no specific meaning should be forced upon them.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)