b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eduard C Hanganu" <eddhanganu AT hotmail.com>
  • To: jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:02:48 -0500

Dear Clay:

I don't know what is your working definition of "cohesion, " but I suspect that it is rather limited. You have to remember that without text cohesion there is no coherence, logicality and relevance in the text, that actually without cohesion there is no text (see Odlin, 2000 in "Language Transfer.") Take a look at Halliday and Hasan's (1976) lenghty discussion on "Cohesion in English." On page 10, when they discuss 'cohesion and discourse structure,' they state:

"Cohesion refers to the range of possibilities that exist for linking something with what has gone before. Since this linking is achieved through relations in MEANING (we are excluding from consideration the effects of formal devices such as syntactic parallelism, metre and rhyme), what is in question is the set of meaning relations which function in this way: the semantic resources which are drawn on for the purpose of creating text. And since, as we have stresssed, it is the sentence that is the pivotal entry here - whatever is put together within one sentence is ipso facto part of a text - we can interpret cohesion in practice, as the set of semantic resources for linking a SENTENCE with what has gone before."

If I understand the paragraph correctly, it is not the mechanical (morphological and syntactic) devices that create cohesion in a text, but the semantic resources that 'glue' phrases and sentences together and produce meaning. These ' semantic resources' are essential because without meaning there is no text, no communication, no message.

Eduard