b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "C. Stirling Bartholomew" <jacksonpollock AT earthlink.net>
  • To: hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Relevance Theory & Hebrew Semantics
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:13:57 -0700

On 8/17/04 12:09 PM, "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT qaya.org> wrote:

> Some texts like Ecclesiastes, and parts of Proverbs, may be made up of a
> separate short discourses thrown together with no real cohesion. But at
> least we can assume that each such discourse is intended to make sense.

Peter,

Discourse segments at every level can have general cohesion but lack
cohesion in some details. I was recently working on a crux in Luke 4:22
(off-topic) where cohesion breaks down in the last clause of the verse.
Trying to force cohesion onto this last clause causes more problems than it
solves. I can't grab an OT example from memory.

I am not talking about random collections of words.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew