b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/2004 1:17:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kwrandolph AT email.com writes:

> If Genesis is, as it claims, an accurate history, it would not have the
> literary conventions that you apply to it. Or to put it into other words,
> the
> Biblical authors did not make the literary assumptions and conventions you
> make, nor did they expect their readers to do so.

Well--Genesis has a pretty good batting-average so far. It took modern
science--microbiology--to vindicate it. Some decades ago, there was a furor
because a man named Darwin claimed we are all descended from apes. There was
even a
famous trial, "The Scopes Monkey Trial", where the proponents of the Bible
squared off against a Darwinite. Both sides, as it turns out, were right and
there was no reason for all the fuss. Genesis is correct. There was an
"Eve"
and we are all descendants of her and a small group of her daughters in
Africa--the "Mitochondrial Eve". But before "Eve" there were the "apemen".
Of this
the ancients could not conceive. But they also said that the "sons of the
gods" (extra-terrestrials) mixed with human beings. Perhaps one day even
that
will be vindicated. Since other ANE peoples have a memory of a great flood
on
earth, probably there was one. The end of the Ice Age probably caused
one--but
that is too long ago. Regardless, some other phenomenon may have caused a
rain that lasted for forty days and night straight. The Greek tale of
"Deucalion's Flood" is very close to the story of Noah. When we get to
Abraham--that
has been vindicated, too. Read here and you will understand why:

http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/abstracts.html

It boils down to the Jews being descended from 13 different men--evidently
the 12 tribes of Israel, plus one. Read the URL patiently and you will see
that
Genesis already knew, without DNA, that the Jews and Arabs are genetically
pretty much the same the same and from one father--Abraham--the whole batch
of
DNA having evidently started in the Fertile Crescent. Our Torah has been
revered for so many generations, I believe, not just because it contains the
Law
of Moses. I think it goes beyond even that and that Jews even forgot why the
Torah is so holy and just assumed it must be on account of the Law. But,
little by little, it is my belief that it will be shown that the Torah
contains the
secrets of the history of the human race, all lost over many dark ages--but
now being recovered one step at a time by ever-evolving science.