b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew schools

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Trevor Peterson <06peterson AT cua.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew schools
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 16:23:59 -0400

>===== Original Message From eskeeric AT isu.edu =====
>I was wondering if any of you have advice on the best schools to study Hebrew specifically Biblical Hebrew in the United States.

I would strongly recommend the Semitics Department at the Catholic University of America, Washington, DC (chaired by M. O'Connor, of Waltke & O'Connor's IBHS). The ANE track is always a major in Biblical Hebrew, plus you have a rare opportunity to study Aramaic with some true experts in the field. Add Akkadian and Ugaritic to round out your ancient languages (both approached with a strong sense of how knowing them will contribute to your understanding of Hebrew), and you've only scratched the surface. Because the department also has a Christian Near East track, you have the opportunity to study Arabic as much as you can handle, and the small size and centralized departmental library facilitates regular interaction between students and faculty of
different subdisciplines within the field of Semitics. You end up with a
well-rounded grasp of the language family and particular expertise in BH. It's a good foundation from which to build in a lot of related directions.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics

  • RE: [b-hebrew] Hebrew schools, Trevor Peterson, 08/12/2004