b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Torah

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "'b-hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Torah
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:04:46 -0400

Dear Yigal,
I discuss the term torah in my article in Persia and Torah, edited by Jim
Watts.
(I repeat the discussion in my book.)
I compare it to the Egyptian hp, the Persian dat, and Akkadian kinatu.
It can probably also be compared to the Greek nomos.
"Law" is a mistranslation, and creates confusion. It is anachronistic.
In my opinion it is more correctly translated "correct procedure,"
"rightful behavior," "custom." I have bibliography in my article.
Best,
Liz

Lisbeth S. Fried
University of Michigan