b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 10:16:08 +0200

What bothered Chris was that Amalek is supposed to be descended from Esau,
Abraham's grandson, and so could not have been around in Abraham's day. This
obviously did not bother the writer or editor of Genesis (that is, whoever
either wrote both Gen 36 and 14 or whoever put them in the same book).
Assuming that he took himself seriously, he could not have meant that "the
field of the Amalekites" had Amalekites living in it at the time.

Another such anachronism is in Gen. 2:11-14, where the rivers that flowed
from Eden went to Havilah, Kush and Ashur, all of which are descendants of
Noah in Gen 10. Once again, even is you ascribe Gen 3 to JE and Gen 10 to P,
someone still put them in the same book. What was HE thinking?

Well, he was not an idiot. But he was also not a historian. What we call
"anachronisms" did not bother him. What was more important, was that his
readers understand his story. What he meant to say was, "the rivers flowed
to what we now call the lands of Havilah, Kush and Ashur". AND, the kings
defeated the inhabitants of what you, the Judahite reader, would call "the
field of the Amalekites".

"The field of the Amalekites" is, in itself, a place name, but one named
after a people called "Amalek". According to Gen 36, Amalek was the son of
Eliphaz and Timna. As I already wrote, I don't think that the author of
Genesis necessarily understood any of these names as "real" people.
Genealogies are a literary expression of the relationships between nations
and tribes. Was the "tribe" of Amalek originally named after a place or a
region. It is a theoretical possibility, but we will probably never be able
to know for sure.

Yigal