b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites!
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:06:20 -0500

Yigal:

You assume that when Noah and his sons got off the ark, that they saw the
same landscape with which they were familiar from before the Flood. But if
the flood were world wide, as reported in Genesis, then what is to prevent
the old world from being completely wiped out and replaced by a completely
different landscape? Then, when Noah and his sons came across a river, they
just named it with a name they knew from before, in the same way immigrants
from England named towns and other features of America (Canada & U.S.) with
English names?

Nowhere in Tanakh does it claim that the tribe of Amalek was descended from
Esau. Who is to say that it was not named from a previous person with that
name? Even assuming that the Bible is a true history does not assume that it
is an exhaustive history, and the people of Amalek is a loose thread that
comes into the story from who knows where, and were wiped out.

Karl W. Randolph.