b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:16:40 +0100

On 11/08/2004 01:50, George F. Somsel wrote:

Peter,

A facsimile edition is precisely what the word implies -- a virtually
photographic reproduction. For a time (before the Enhanced Brown Driver
Briggs came to fruition) this was offered by Logos but is no longer in
publication. I still have my copy.

The Enhanced BDB is also precisely what it indicates. It is the text of
the facsimile edition but has added links to TWOT and
Goodrick-Kohlenberger (not quotations therefrom).
The abridged BDB is by Richard Whittaker, and is not the same as the
Online Bible version. It is abridged by the removal of the scripture
references and the Latin. Otherwise it is the same as the BDB facsimile.
I sometimes use the abridged version if I am citing the BDB and wish to
shorten the quotation -- otherwise I use the Enhanced BDB.

Thank you, also Dave, for the clarification. The OLB version of BDB does exist, but fortunately it does not seem to have been distributed by Logos. The Whittaker abridgement is indeed much better.

I wonder why Sword has locked the OLB version? Perhaps because the OLB people object? It is still available from the OLB site (although now not identified as BDB) but only in OLB format.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)