b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: peterkirk AT qaya.org
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 20:50:04 -0400

_____________

> George, we may be talking about different abridged versions, but I
> definitely have one (although not in Logos format), entitled "Brown,
>
> Driver, Briggs (BDB) Hebrew-English Lexicon, abridged (Online Bible)",
> which has an adjusted definition for `ALMA. I quote:
>
> > 1) virgin, young woman
> > 1a) of marriageable age
> > 1b) maid or newly married
> > ++++
> > There is no instance where it can be proved that this word
> > designates a young woman who is not a virgin. (TWOT)
>
> But my printed BDB has a different definition: "young woman (ripe
> sexually; maid or newly married)", with no mention of "virgin". The
> following is taken from the Preface to this edition:
>
> > Source
> >
> > This version of the Online Bible / BDB / Strong's dictionary (OBDS)
> is an adaptation of material developed in part by Online Bible
> associates and is used by permission.
> >
> > According to our sources, the OBDS was a project undertaken by a
> Texas man, who, after retiring from the armed services went to
seminary.

> > Then, during a year of living with his aged father in Tennessee,
> he began keying the BDB entries to the Strong’s numbering system and
> > distilling BDB into a shorter dictionary (etymology and bibliography,

> > along with Scripture references and quotations, were largely
> removed). As a further check, the entire lexicon was compared with M.
> Robinson and J. Green’s A Concise Lexicon of the Biblical Languages
(CLBL).

> > Cross references to Harris, Archer, and Waltke's Theological
> Wordbook of the Old Testament (TWOT), published by Moody Press, were
also
> added.
> >
> > During the production process, some internal editing of the
> > definitions was carried out. It is said that definitions
> considered to be liberal were altered (e.g., ‘virgin’ was preferred
over ‘young
> > woman’, ‘Jerusalem’ is ‘teaching of peace’ with no mention, as in
> BDB, of the Canaanite god Shalim, etc.). Also, all reference to the
> JEDP documentary hypothesis, assumed by BDB, was removed. Furthermore,
> > personal names were matched with etymologically derived meanings,
> most often without mention of the possible sources of such meanings.
>
> See also
> http://www.crosswire.org/sword/modules/ModInfo.jsp?modName=OLBHeb.
>
> This is probably not the version which Maurice mentioned, which was
> "a facsimile edition, and very, very clunky to move through". But it
> may well be "the free condensed edition in Logos' software" which Dave
> mentioned, because a "condensed edition" can hardly be the same as
> "a facsimile edition" - although there is currenty no mention of this
> [...]
___________

Peter,

A facsimile edition is precisely what the word implies -- a virtually
photographic reproduction. For a time (before the Enhanced Brown Driver
Briggs came to fruition) this was offered by Logos but is no longer in
publication. I still have my copy.

The Enhanced BDB is also precisely what it indicates. It is the text of
the facsimile edition but has added links to TWOT and
Goodrick-Kohlenberger (not quotations therefrom).

The abridged BDB is by Richard Whittaker, and is not the same as the
Online Bible version. It is abridged by the removal of the scripture
references and the Latin. Otherwise it is the same as the BDB facsimile.
I sometimes use the abridged version if I am citing the BDB and wish to
shorten the quotation -- otherwise I use the Enhanced BDB.

george
gfsomsel