b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Lexica (was Analytical Lexicons)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Lexica (was Analytical Lexicons)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:02:29 -0700 (PDT)

I would recommend getting both. The student edition of
the KB is really becoming the standard Hebrew lexicon,
and Brill is to be commended for publishing at a price
that puts it almost in the reach of the individual.
Before they did that, KB was over $125/volume for the
5-volume set. I've used Hollday for years and still
reach for it when I'm doing a quick look at a verse. I
also still use my Brown-Driver-Briggs. If you get a
BDB get the one that has the index in the back
(published by Hendrickson) which tells you what page
the various words are on. It's a real-time-saver
because it is classified by root rather than in
alphabetical order. If money is no object get KB, if
it is, then get Holladay

Kevin

> On Tuesday 10 August 2004 06:57, wattswestmaas
> wrote:
> > A quick question about hebrew lexicons because I
> am not able to view any of
> > them and decide for myself.
> >
> > I can get a two volume Koehler and Baumgartner
> study edition; or an
> > abbreviated version prepared by William L
> Holladay. What are the
> > differences?

=====
Prof. Kevin W. Woodruff, M. Div., M. S. I. S.
Library Director/Reference Librarian, Professor of Bible and Greek
423/493-4252 (office) 423/493-4423 (home) 423/493-4497 (FAX)
Cierpke AT prodigy.net http://pages.prodigy.net/cierpke/woodruff.htm