b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 09:05:12 -0600

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 06:57, wattswestmaas wrote:
> A quick question about hebrew lexicons because I am not able to view any of
> them and decide for myself.
>
> I can get a two volume Koehler and Baumgartner study edition; or an
> abbreviated version prepared by William L Holladay. What are the
> differences?
>
> Also what are the differences between the above and the standard BDB?

I'm still saving my pennies to get the KB, but I use Holladay profusely. The
two biggest differences I can see between it and BDB are that Holladay is
more up-to-date and not so loaded down with cognate info that may or may not
be significant; and, I can actually find words in Holladay! BDB's format of
listing everything under triliteral roots drives me bonkers. Except for the
free condensed edition in Logos' software, I never use it because it's too
time-consuming to figure out where they put this or that word, especially
nouns. As always, YMMV.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur