b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Analytical Lexicons.
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 00:04:19 -0600

On Wednesday 11 August 2004 05:16, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 11/08/2004 01:50, George F. Somsel wrote:
> >
> >Peter,
> >
> >A facsimile edition is precisely what the word implies -- a virtually
> >photographic reproduction. For a time (before the Enhanced Brown Driver
> >Briggs came to fruition) this was offered by Logos but is no longer in
> >publication. I still have my copy.
> >
> >The Enhanced BDB is also precisely what it indicates. It is the text of
> >the facsimile edition but has added links to TWOT and
> >Goodrick-Kohlenberger (not quotations therefrom).
> >
> >The abridged BDB is by Richard Whittaker, and is not the same as the
> >Online Bible version. It is abridged by the removal of the scripture
> >references and the Latin. Otherwise it is the same as the BDB facsimile.
> >I sometimes use the abridged version if I am citing the BDB and wish to
> >shorten the quotation -- otherwise I use the Enhanced BDB.
>
> Thank you, also Dave, for the clarification. The OLB version of BDB does
> exist, but fortunately it does not seem to have been distributed by
> Logos. The Whittaker abridgement is indeed much better.
>
> I wonder why Sword has locked the OLB version? Perhaps because the OLB
> people object? It is still available from the OLB site (although now not
> identified as BDB) but only in OLB format.

Most likely, it's not sword that has locked it but the OLB people have
refused
to give them copyright permission to distribute it. The sword folks list a
module as locked when they run into that problem. As for why the OLB folks
wouldn't want it distrubuted as part of the sword package, I have no idea.
I've never been to the OLB site, but perhaps they have some info there about
copyright issues?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur