b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Singers

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uri Hurwitz <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>, 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Singers
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 08:26:03 -0700 (PDT)

Any root with a medial Waw assumes this form in the Piel. You may wish to
check this out.
It seems to me there is no diffrerence in the meaning between the Qal and
Piel in this case, which I believe was the original question.

Uri

"Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> wrote:

Dear Peter, Yigal, et. al.,
First, thanks for thinking about this topic.
This lable for this form of the verb, polel, was new to me.
I had never thought about it as a separate form before.
Second, except for two other verses,
the polel of $yr appears only in Chronicles, Ezra, and Nehemiah.
The two other verses are Job 36:24 and Zeph. 2:14
(according to Bible Works, I should add I suppose).
So, my primary question is what is the thrust of the polel here?
and, secondly, can we conclude anything from the fact that
it is largely confined to Chronicles-Ezra-Nehemiah?
Thanks
Liz

http://mail.yahoo.com