b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George F. Somsel" <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: vadim_lv AT center-tv.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 10:50:06 -0400

I would hardly say that a student of the eminent Gamaliel did not know
Tanak (BTW: the author of Acts where the Stephen quotation appears was a
companion of this same student of Gamaliel, the Apostle Paul). As
regards the "garbled quotations" you might consult Philo regarding his
understanding of Tanak. Take but a small example: Gen 6.2. Here the MT
and the LXX have "Sons of God" but Philo says

"And when the angels of God saw the daughters of men that they were
beautiful, they took unto themselves wives of all of them whom they
chose.” Those beings, whom other philosophers call demons, Moses usually
calls angels; and they are souls hovering in the air.

Obviously they are not called AGGELOI [LXX] or MaL:)fKiYM [MT] but
B:N"Y_Hf)e:LoHiYM.

I hardly think that the LXX which was the Bible of the early church was a
product of Romans or Chinese but of Greek-speaking Jews. If the passage
is "garbled", it hardly falls to the account of Christians. I would say
that you apparently have about as much antipathy to Christianity as some
who are considered anti-Semitic have toward Jews -- and about as much
knowledge of those you excoriate as the anti-Semitic have (or should I
say "about as little knowledge"?). The method employed in understanding
the text within the church was about the same as that employed in the
synagogue which is quite different from that which would be used today in
academic circles. It is this type of interpretation which has evolved
the kashrut rule for the separation of meat and dairy from the
prohibition to "seeth a kid in its mother's milk." This has become a
part of the observant Jew's practice. I am not going to beat them over
the head and say that they shouldn't be doing that, but I think they
themselves realize that it was not the intention of the text in its
origin but a development in the history of their faith. As such their
practice is beyond any criticism.

gfsomsel
_________