b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:27:27 +0300

> > Since Oral Tradition was not written but memorized, no layman could have
> > known it.
>
> Oral tradition was not (for the most part) memorized, but acted upon.
> Judaism, then and now, deals more with practice than with theology.
Whenever
> any Jew preforms a commandment, he relys on oral tradition to tell him HOW
> to preform it. How big should a Sukkah be? What counts as Hametz
(leavened)
> which must not be around the house on the Passover? What does "write these
> words on your gates and doorposts, and tie them on your hand and between
> your eyes" mean? Almost all of the PRACTICAL dietary laws, the Sabbath
laws,
> the laws of ritual purety, and many others, are part of the oral
tradition.
> Before the Mishnah, these were not written - they were simply acted upon.
> The "common Jew", who may not have been literate, did as his father had
done
> before him, and when in doubt, turned to his local rabbi (who would have
> been a Pharisee).

Large part of Mishnah is beyond concern of laymen. I don't think the
observance was this detailed, anyway.

> > bar Sheta introduced compulsory learning of Torah for Jewish boys.
>
> Did he? What is your source for that? How was it enforced?

I don't remember out of head, but it is somewhat of common knowledge. You
may run a search in Talmud

> > I was also referring to the episode of Jesus reading in the synagogue. I
> > guess this argument goes without verification for Christian scholars.
Some
> > kind of reading was there, anyway.
> > Gospels contain the citations by supposedly knowledgeable NT personages.
> So
> > why they are distorted? Because the authoring folks relied on LXX, and
> > distorted even it as it suited them. It did not make sense to appeal
with
> > this gibberish to Jewish scholars, right? But in the Acts, these folks
> > lecture Sanhedrin with utterly distorted text. Makes any sense to you?
>
> Both the Gospels and Acts, like the HB, are NOT historically accurate
> reports of real events. They are literary descriptions of what the
aouthors
> thought should have happened. Since the Evangelists (including "Luke" who
> wrote Acts) were Greek-speaking, they used the LXX (or something like it)
> and assumed that their characters had done the same.

If LXX existed, why Josephus made a new translation, asserting there is
none?

Vadim Cherny

> Yigal
>

> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Vadim Cherny
> >

> > > Now, that's a sweeping statement (three, in fact)! I'll stay away from
> the
> > > NT authors, but what source do you have about "common Jews", besides
the
> > NT,
> > > which clearly has an issue with Pharisees? In general, it was the
> Priestly
> > > Sadducees, who denied the validity of the "oral Torah", who were
removed
> > > from the "common people". The Pharisees were far more "connected" to
> > > "popular religion", which included the oral tradition (this does NOT
> mean
> > > that every rule recorded in the Talmud necessarily reflects 1st
century
> > > custom).
> > >
> > > Did "every Jewish boy" study Torah? That would have certainly been the
> > > ideal, but literacy was uncommon at best, including among Jews. What
all
> > > Jews DID learn, was the ORAL traditions, both as Bible-stories and as
> > rules
> > > for daily life.
> > >
> > > As far as the weekly readings: we don't really know how many Jews
> > regularly
> > > attended synagogue services. We don't really know how common the
cyclic
> > > reading of the Torah was at the time. And we have no idea what
> > "additional"
> > > readings, if any, were read. The earliest evidence we have of a
> prophetic
> > > reading after the Torah reading (what today is called the "Haftarah")
> is,
> > in
> > > fact, the story about Jesus reading in the synagogue a Nazareth in
Luke