b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:08:22 +0300

Dear Harold,

The concept of messiah is virtually absent from Torah. There is a promise to
Moses, but "like you" is hardly a status most Christians require for Jesus;
besides, the word is probably in plural.
I fail to see messianic reference in Deut30:3; besides, the concept of New
Israel, required to apply this promise to gentiles, is still required - and
it is not there in Torah, but somehow derived from Nakh.
The story of Balaam is probably an insert, as you know, but I'm not sure
that there are two people implied, not David. You just presume that the
anointed king is a different fellow, not just another title.
The fact that several commandments probably remained undone is not an
implication that they will be realized in future. In fact, Christians
introduced the concept of outdated commandments. But, to tell the truth,
many commandments are practically unrealizable, especially in the sphere of
rituals. For example, cannot kill a sheep from every Israelite family in the
given time span of festivals.

We know that Zaddukis dominated the Temple (at least, since the expulsion of
Qumranites, if we take this story for the face value) and Pharisees appeared
lately, and were innovators. So we have good reasons to believe that Judaism
as religion originally did not put much stock in Nakh. Therefore, there were
none messianic substantiations.

Sure enough, there was folk lore expecting messiah. This may be compared to
folk stories of Christians (such as those assembled in the Golden Legend
book). Same as Christian theologians do not take these stories seriously,
neither we can take Jewish Nakh-messianic lore.

As for your appeal to Maimonides, he was writing with Pharisaic tradition,
and necessarily constrained by it. Like Philo, he spent a large part of his
efforts for futile attempt of reconciling irreconcillable.

You are speaking in vain of rabbi Akiva. As far as we can imagine, he did
not have another choice if Judaism was to be preserved, not dissipated.
And well, if messiah for you is a military leader smashing gentile nations,
I wonder what he has to do with Jesus.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny