b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:17:38 +0300

Dear Karl,

> And the differences between modern and Shakespearean English are far less
than the differences between >Biblical and modern Hebrew.

I really doubt that.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

> Believe it or not, I have trouble reading Shakespeare. The grammar is
slightly different and there are hundreds of lexemes that have either
dropped out of modern use (not so bad, just look up a dictionary) or changed
their definitions (can be really bad, because one thinks he understands the
text, but in reality he misunderstands it, often making the text
incomprehensible in its context). Therefore, if the only reason for a
non-English speaking student to study English is to read Shakespeare, would
he be better off learning modern English first, then the differences between
Shakespearean and modern English, or only Shakespearean English so that all
his thought patterns as he studies Shakespeare are consistent with the
English as it was used at that time?

> When I look at Hebrew, I expect certain patterns, I expect certain ways of
writing, certain definitions and certain spellings, that are more similar to
ancient Aramaic (as found in Daniel and Ezra), a language so different that
people speaking one could not understand the other, than they are to modern
Hebrew. The differences appear to me less like the differences between
modern to Shakespearean English and more like the differences between modern
English and Anglo-Saxon, or at least Chaucerian English.

> Karl W. Randolph.

Rashi
> > spoke. I noticed Yiddisch is similar to Alamanisch.). Now, when I try to
> > speak German, I have an Alamanisch accent. However, it is corrupted by
my
> > ancestral language of Norwegian. Germans, when they hear that, can't
figure
> > out which part of Germany I'm from. The Alamanisch accent mixed with the
> > Norwegian accent mixed into my high German makes for quite a confusion.
> > >
> > > My ignorance of modern Hebrew is now an advantage, as my Biblical
Hebrew
> > is uncontaminated by even Mishnaic Hebrew. So, for example, when I
viewed
> > the "Josiah stone" forgery, I had a whole list of examples that sounded
> > strange long before I reached the use of BDQ as a verb that tipped off
those
> > who know modern Hebrew that the stone might be a forgery. In fact, the
BDQ