b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Jer. 50.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect? Jer. 50.
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:40:30 -0400

Dear Rolf,
I don't agree that Jeremiah 50 speaks about a future event.
That katav is used in fact demonstrates that Jer. 50 is about
a past event not about a future event.
Now you assume that it is about a future event because you
say that Jeremiah lived in the time of Zedekiah and that
the fall of Babylon didn't occur until the time of Cyrus.
I don't assume this however. I assume that a later
writer added to the book of Jeremiah and wrote about a past
event.
You switch the meanings of the verbs around to conform to
your hypothesis that these are all the exact words of the
prophet who gives his name to the book.
Liz Fried
Ann Arbor