b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:12:51 -0500

Dear Vadim,

No, I am not making a logical error. I did not say that every rich person was evil. I said that richness is often associated with wickedness in the prophets. But most of the rich could be wicked. Here is a passage in Micah:

Mic. 6:9 Listen! The LORD is calling to the city - and to fear your name is wisdom - "Heed the rod and the One who appointed it.
Mic. 6:10 Am I still to forget, O wicked house, your ill-gotten treasures and the short ephah, which is accursed?
Mic. 6:11 Shall I acquit a man with dishonest scales, with a bag of false weights?
Mic. 6:12 Her rich men are violent; her people are liars and their tongues speak deceitfully.

HH: So the rich men of this city were evil, and the commentary I have suggests that the city was probably Jerusalem ("Micah," by Bruce Waltke, The Minor Prophets, ed. Thomas E. McComisky, p. 737).

Yours,
Harold Holmyard