b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 17:39:33 -0400

Dear Rolf,
Isaiah 8:23ff has to do with the relief experienced
when Tiglath-Pileser III took whatever he wanted,
but Judah was spared.
I don't agree that the default supposition of a
prophetic text should be that he's talking about
the future. That is not my view of prophecy at all.
Prophets worked for the king, they were paid by
the kings (Isaiah and Jeremiah at least), and gave
them advice about how to run their kingdoms.
They were dealing with the here and now. My default
is that the KATAV and the VAYKTOV is past. The plain
sense is revealed when these are translated as simple
past (or past perfective). To use a future you'd have to
show that the future was intended if as was said, you
read the passage in a newspaper.
Best,
Liz