b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 14:42:31 +0000

Gentlemen,

Perhaps we should look at Jouon-Muraoka on this point:

"In prophecies a future event is sometimes regarded as having already been accomplished, hence the use of qatal. This prophetic perfect is not a grammatical perfect, but a rhetorical device." (The examples cited are Isa. 9.1, 9.5.)

If we step back and consider these so-called prophetic perfects within the frame which the author/redactor constructs, we find these passages embedded within a larger discourse. What JM calls a rhetorical device is perhaps just a function of pragmatics. My instructor (if I correctly understood the lecture) asked our class to consider the mode of prophecy itself. (Assuming continuity of Isa.) Prophecy here comes in the mode of a Vision. So, perhaps the use fo the qatal is a function of the vision which was past, Isa 1.

Thoughts,

Julie :)

Express yourself with the new version of MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/