b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 22:21:24 +0100

There seems to be something upside down about your methodology here. If you
ignore a priori the commonest verb initial constructions, of course you will
find that less common constructions are basic. And any movement rule can
work in either direction.

What makes you conclude that wayyiqtol and weqatal are "derived"? I accept
that they are made up of the conjunction and a verb form, but as the
conjunction is attached to the first word of the great majority of clauses
in Hebrew this attachment is no reason to exclude them from an analysis.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/