b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 10:22:19 +0100

Dave, I take your point about the limitations of the surviving corpus. But
we do have examples of a wide range of genres, although maybe with an
atypical preponderance of narrative, if, as I suggest, we leave aside poetry
because of special factors involved there. And the feeling I get is that
verb initial clauses are predominant in most if not all of these genres,
certainly not only in narrative. I don't have data to confirm that. Maybe
someone has, which would be of interest.

I am not saying that weqatal and wayyiqtol are nothing more than conjunction
+ verb. I haven't become a follower of Rolf Furuli. But, if for the moment I
accept the rigid distinction you make between syntax and semantics, I would
have to say that at the syntactic level they are a simple combination
(although the second element in wayyiqtol is not regular yiqtol), and that
the change in the force of the verb is something semantic, not syntactic. As
such, on your paradigm, this meaning change must be irrelevant to the
syntactic issue of word order.

I apologise for suggesting that you exclude wayyiqtol and weqatal from your
analysis. I was wrongly attributing to you the method which Heimerdinger
attributes to others including Muraoka. But it is clear that you are basing
your conclusions on other forms and rejecting arguments based on wayyiqtol
and weqatal.

Actually I have a lot of sympathy with Frank's argument that we should not
assume that basic word order is a meaningful concept in every language. If
it cannot be discovered unambiguously perhaps that's because there is no
such thing.

Frank, are you really saying that the basic word order in Sumerian is object
first? I thought that the first such language to be discovered was
Hixkaryana, found by Des Derbyshire in the Amazon jungle in the 1960s.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/