b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 17:50:25 -0600

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 15:21, Peter Kirk wrote:
> There seems to be something upside down about your methodology here. If you
> ignore a priori the commonest verb initial constructions, of course you
> will find that less common constructions are basic. And any movement rule
> can work in either direction.

There's "commonest" and then there's "commonest." The commonest construction
in the literature of the Hebrew Bible, which deals most commonly with past
events and prophetic utterances, may or may not be the base form of the
language in everyday life. I just picked up a biography of Beethoven for
some light reading; its most common form is probably going to be the English
past tense. If that were the only surviving example of English that we had,
would you conclude that the past tense was the base form of the English
language of the 20th century? We've been down this road before, and the
upside-down methodology is the one that assumes, a priori, that the form most
common *within the limited and specialized corpus that has come down to us,*
is the most fundamental one. We have to take into account, not only the kind
of material we have to work with, but also what we know about the general
structure of language and how we go about discovering base forms in order to
determine what is derived and why. Simply counting occurrences gets us
nowhere.

> What makes you conclude that wayyiqtol and weqatal are "derived"? I accept
> that they are made up of the conjunction and a verb form, but as the
> conjunction is attached to the first word of the great majority of clauses
> in Hebrew this attachment is no reason to exclude them from an analysis.

Are you saying that they are *nothing more* than "the conjunction and a verb
form"? If that is the case, how does the addition of the simple conjunction
so affect the force of the verb form? Come on, Peter. It's clear that we
have distinct forms here, forms with their own distinctive force that amounts
to much more than just one of the other verb forms plus the simple
conjunction. A glance at the grammars, and indeed at the text itself, makes
it clear that the addition of the W - be it a conjunction or some other sort
of prefix, as I have argued elsewhere - materially alters the force of the
verb form in question, and in fact produces a distinct verb form. I know you
reject transformational-generative grammar, but the above paragraph is a bit
much.

And incidentally, I never said I excluded them from an analysis. Please
don't
monkey with my words this way.

--
Dave Washburn