b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: "'Dr Dale M Wheeler'" <dalemw AT multnomah.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 00:06:48 +0100

Thank you. With your help I have now found this reference to Gross, in a
footnote and so it didn't show up in a search.

Their point that the basic word order is found in predicate focus sentences
is probably a way of rescuing the concept of basic word order from the
morass which this thread has left it in - though of course this word order
is only basic to the extent that predicate focus sentences are basic. Indeed
it depends on the meaningfulness of the concept of predicate, which is
debatable in itself as a cross-linguistic concept. But there is a common
type of sentence (in very many languages at least) in which a noun is the
topic and also the grammatical subject and a verb with a direct object are
the focus. The word order in such a sentence could be considered basic. The
problem is that in Hebrew the word order in an isolated sentence may be
different from that in a connected narrative. Which is more basic? Who is to
say?

Anyway, van der Merwe et al conclude that the sentence constituent in focus
is generally fronted (by which I mean it is situated at the front, not that
it is moved to the front from some hypothetical other position). They
mention some other pragmatic functions of fronting: reintroduction or
reactivation of a character; and anterior and simultaneous constructions.
But it seems that where these do not apply the first constituent in a
sentence (after any conjunction) is the one in focus.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/