b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: c stirling bartholomew <cc.constantine AT worldnet.att.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] VSO vs SVO
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 11:52:51 -0700

on 5/30/03 10:39 AM, Peter Kirk wrote:

> I don't have a single grammatical framework. I'm not sure how far that
> is a helpful concept. When I was in SIL I learned to be careful of
> frameworks ...

Yes, one needs to take a rather polygamist attitude towards "frameworks"
move form one to another, mix them together ... borrow, steal and transform
elements from various schools and come up with a personal language model
that is so esoteric that no one understands what you are saying ... :-)))

On the other hand, I have over several decades run into a lot of "true
believers" who thought they were carrying the torch for some model (e.g.,
Chomsky '95 or SFL Holliday). These folks tend to be perennially upset when
the rest of the world doesn't understand what they are saying.

I prefer to take the salvage approach, steal a few good ideas from marginal
models and leave the rest of it alone, refusing to get caught up in
defending someone else's system.

greetings, clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew