b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:56:14 +1100

Serge, do you have any evidence for your assertion that Randall Buth is
misleading his students? He may not be able to reconstruct biblical
Hebrew completely and unambiguously, and I think he admits to using some
modern vocabulary. But he is certainly not simply using contemporary
syntax, use of tenses etc, he is really trying to use the biblical
language.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/

contemporary
> Israeli Hebrew and/or real Mishnaic Hebrew, but each thing genuine and
> taught by different methods (IH like Spanish, BH like Akkadian). I
studied
> IH at the Hebrew University ulpan in 1995-96 (the teaching was mostly
> excellent, "both wonderful and challenging"), but since then I must
have
> forgotten many things.
> I believe analytical keys, morphologically tagged editions etc. are
> just
> awful for beginners because, evidently, learners will never get the
joy
> of
> developing their own thoughts. It is pure imitation of having the real
> thing.
> True, Huehnergard does have made-up things in the basic vocabulary
and
> grammar exercises of each lesson (incidentally, I once made my
student
> do
> them, but I am not going to repeat this experience), and he was
criticised
> for it by the reviews.
> I believe Ugaritic is best taught as an exercise in comparative
Semitics.
> It is not a "language", exactly as Mesha Inscription or Tell-Fahariyya
> inscription are no "languages"
> Best,
> Serge Lyosov
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as:
[peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com]