b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vincent Medina" <vmedina AT cbcag.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 12:38:48 -0500

As far as I am concern inductive approaches to learning dead languages is
highly over-rated. The typical Biblical Hebrew class does not have the
time or resources for the kind of immersion that is required to learn a
language inductively. The analytical approach utilized in grammars like
Seow, etc. is not perfect but it is the most efficient way to teach a
language in a short time. I know individuals who have attempted to teach
Hebrew inductively and have had the students begging them for the kind of
summaries contained in the traditional grammars. Unless someone comes up
with an inductive method that is clearly superior, the analytical approach
will continue to dominate.

Vince Medina
Springfield, MO