b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_R_Kirk AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 11:16:14 +1100

Vincent, I suspect that you have seen only a selection of postings on
this subject. My friend Andy Warren's recent posting should correct any
continuing misunderstanding.

I would conclude from your posting that the traditional approach of
language learning 3-4 hours per week mixed with other studies is a
highly inefficient use of time in learning a language, independent of
the actual teaching methods. This accords with my observations of how
quickly different people learn modern languages. A small period of
immersion is much more efficient than the same number of hours spread
over many months.

And I agree with Clayton on his "language laws", and with Jane's
comments in reply.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/