b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Vincent Medina" <vmedina AT cbcag.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:28:47 -0500

Peter:

I have to admit that I am not familiar with either Randall Buth or John
Dobson, but from the posts I have seen here it would appear that Buth, at
least, uses his "immersion course" to teach IH and not BH. I will grant
that someone who goes to a language "boot-camp" where actual immersion can
take place can learn inductively. The point I was attempting to make was
the impracticality of that for most seminary/college students. Many of
them are taking language classes that meet 3 to 4 hours per week and
taking a full load of other courses besides. In this setting, I still
maintain that the analytical approach followed by traditional grammars is
more practical and effective. You obviously have had more exposure to
other approaches. I look forward to leaning about them.

Vince