b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Clayton Javurek <javurek AT asu.edu>
  • To: 'Trevor Peterson' <06PETERSON AT cua.edu>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:08:35 -0700

Title: RE: [b-hebrew] RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

Clayton Javurek
E-MAIL: javurek AT asu.edu

Here is the sequence I use when teaching biblical Hebrew or
NT Greek to get persons started with the interlinear text
and the analytical lexicon:

1. Alphabet, Pronunciation, Transliteration of sounds

2. Alphabet, Pronunciation, Transliteration of sounds

3. Alphabet, Pronunciation, Transliteration of sounds

4. Parsing the Noun and Adjective with the analytical lex

5. Parsing the Verb and Adverb with the analytical lex

6. Parsing the Participle with the analytical lex

7. Parsing the Infinitive with the analytical lex

8. Transliteration and Parsing the text with the analytical

9. Transliteration and Parsing the text with the analytical

10. Transliteration and Parsing the text with the analytical

11. Intro to the Formal Greek Lexicon/optional class session and purchase

12. Intro to the Formal Greek Grammar/optional class session and purchase

This way you get the student into the text, understanding what the text means
without tons of prior memorization. Yes, they are extremely depending on the
interlinear and analytical but you have at least jump-started them. If they
want to go on to formal classes with more memorization, they have that option.