b-hebrew - RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: "Non-Academic" Original Languages?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:34:33 +1100

Vince, I would like to present to you a challenge. Well, it's probably
not practical, but in principle it is. I will send a group of students,
with a range of backgrounds and abilities, to a six week immersion
course in Hebrew with an inductive approach, e.g. Randall Buth's or John
Dobson's. You send a group with a similar makeup to an "analytical"
course for the same number of class hours. Let's see which group has a
higher level of reading comprehension of the Hebrew Bible at the end.
Having seen the results of both approaches and heard of the results of
studies, I am fairly confident that the inductive approach will win,
with the majority of students though perhaps not with those already
experienced in analytical approaches to other languages.

But I agree that grammatical summaries are useful, not for learning by
rote but for reference when parsing difficult forms.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/