b-hebrew - RE: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:48:11 -0500

Dear Ken,
With these last remarks you seem to be confusing canon criticism
and eisegesis. Canon criticism is the very laudable study of how the
bible has been interpreted by faith communities through the millenia.
Those who engage in this study do *not* advocate mistranslating the
text to further the theologies of those faith communities.
Eisegesis is reading *into* the text, what
you think should be there as a result of your theologies.
Exegesis -- what the translator should be engaged in -- is bringing
out of the text what is actually there. Now, ISTM, that if the translator
knows that the word is *really* "young woman" and he translates it
"virgin" on purpose to encourage a particular theological understanding,
then, it seems to me that he is lying to his readers for the sake of
that theology. The theology, then, requires lies to bolster it, whereas
it is the truth that sets free.
Best,
Liz