b-hebrew - RE: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Smith" <kens AT 180solutions.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 11:30:22 -0800

> > So it isn't on the
> > grounds of
> > mere theological prejudice, but as the result of an informed and
> > critical reading of the Christian tradition, that I have no
> > objection
> > to the NIV's choice of "virgin" in that passage. After all,
> > the NIV is
> > trying to translate the Christian canon, and not the Jewish.
> >
> > Does that make sense?
>
> No.
>
> Liz Fried

Now, Liz, you're starting to sound like some other members of this forum
:-). Surely you have a more articulate response than that in your
repertoire!

I suppose it's possible that you just didn't understand what I was
saying -- but since I'm pretty much just parroting what the folks behind
"canon criticism" (however that's to be understood) have been saying for
the last 20 or 30 years, and I don't think I was entirely unclear in my
explanation, do I presume that your problem is with the larger field of
canon criticism? Or with my particular application of it? Or . . . ?

Still taking the bait,

Ken Smith