b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <ButhFam AT compuserve.com>
  • To: Moshe Shulman <mshulman AT ix.netcom.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:05:45 -0500

shalom Moshe,

>All translations involve compromises and
>hard decisions, knowing that you are doomed to err because the two
>languages, Hebrew and English are so different. (BTW this is not the case
>with Arabic, or other Semitic translations.)
<

I would prefer to say "all translations". I am always disappointed with the

Arabic translations. A related language is still a different language, a
different
network of 'spaghetti'. And the culture is different. And history. A
language
encodes a culture, a culture is encoded in a language. You cannot truly
know one without the other.

To what may this be compared?
English and German are sister languages like Arabic and Hebrew.
German Shakespeare is good,
English Shakespeare is Shakespeare.

blessings,
Randall Buth, PhD