b-hebrew - Canon(ical) Criticism

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Canon(ical) Criticism
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:47:15 -0600

On 3/16/02 1:48 PM, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> wrote:

> Dear Ken,
> With these last remarks you seem to be confusing canon criticism
> and eisegesis. Canon criticism is the very laudable study of how the
> bible has been interpreted by faith communities through the millenia.

I am not sure about Ken's posts (wasn't paying attention) or what "Canon
criticism" is. But as I understand *canonical criticism* (e.g., Brevard
Childs) it is not studying how the Bible has been interpreted through the
millennia, but instead is critical study of the biblical text as it stands
in its *canonical form* rather than as, say, the "J" source.

Is that what you meant Lis or is one of us getting our terms confused (and
it may well be me).

Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
"There are a good many fools who call me a friend,
and also a good many friends who call me a fool."