b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: RSRICHMOND AT aol.com, b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 19:10:22 EST

In a message dated 3/16/2002 9:02:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
RSRICHMOND AT aol.com writes:

But this is what literary or scriptural translation has to be - the
re-creation of a voice in a new world. Biblical translators do have the
special advantage of being informed by the Spirit.

Now this is something I would really question. I would be very reticent to
claim any kind of (divine) inspiration for any of my translation. 'A'
translates one way based on his presuppositions and 'B' translates another
way based on his. These may well conflict with one another. What spirit
inspired them? Jack Daniels? We're just humans doing the very best we can
while operating from certain viewpoints. Presumably we try to deal honestly
with the texts within those limits. That doesn't mean we are always correct.

GfSomsel