b-hebrew - Re: Question: Off topic? More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Christian M. M. Brady" <cbrady AT tulane.edu>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Question: Off topic? More
  • Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:04:58 -0600

On 3/16/02 2:02 PM, "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu> wrote:

> Dear Christian,
> I think we're quibbling here.
> There is no translation without interpretation.
> That is why one should read texts in the original language.
> Liz

No it is not a quibble. Exegesis means something much, much more than the
sort of interpretation required to render a good translation. And in our
field "exegesis" has specific technical meanings as well, that go far beyond
the interpretation required for translation so I still think your use of the
term was inaccurate in this context.
Cb
cbrady @ tulane.edu
--
Someone, I think it was Henry Kissinger said, "The reason fights within the
Academy are so vicious is because the stakes are so small."